Muswell Hill Synagogue Visit

Last week, both Year 5 and 6 went on a visit to Muswell Hill Synagogue. It was linked to our studies in class based around Judaism Week. We all learned such a lot from Rabbi Anthony.
Write a comment below about something you enjoyed or learned from our visit.

10 thoughts on “Muswell Hill Synagogue Visit

1. 15adam

Hannuka is the festival of light and it is celebrated because a synagogue was raided and all the bottles of pure oil were smashed except 1 and it took 8 days to make one bottle worth of pure oil. The pure oil is used to feed the everlasting light in the synagogue. The oil that was left was only enough for 1 day and the light stayed lit for the whole 8 days that they had been making more pure oil.

1. 15amelia

Hi Mr Ruddy,
    I learnt that if you look carefully at the Jewish religion, some things can be similar to our religion. For example that we have a holy church, Jews have a holy Sinagogue.

2. Lyudmil

When we went there, I learned that they write in the Torah from right to left in Hebrew and that they pray everywhere they are – even in the the toilet. In addition, they take of the Kippah – a small Jewish hat – when the go to a Synagogue.

3. 15beverley

Hi Mr Ruddy,
    One of the thing I enjoyed about Our visit to the Muswell Hill Synagogue was when Rabbi Anthony said that there is a prayer when you go to the toilet. It was the most funniest thing I had ever heard.

4. 15jauvane

Hi Mr Ruddy,
    I really enjoyed learning about the Torah Scroll in the Synagogue. I learnt that it can take up to a year to write, and it is written on animal skin. I learnt that people use a yad to point at the words they read, as their hands could be dirty. The Torah Scroll is written in Hebrew.

5. 15kinga

Hello Mr Ruddy
    I really enjoyed our visit to the Muswell Hill Synagogue. I learned a lot for example: some jewish stories that I never heard about. I also learned more about the Torah like what kind of thread they use to make it. I would like to go to a different one another time because I want to see what other ones look like. I wonder if they are the same or different than the one we saw.

6. 15dawid

I learned that the Jews pray at different times of the day such as: before going to sleep, before eating something or even before going to the toilet!

7. 15julian

Good Evening Mr Ruddy,

I have learnt that in Hebrew you have to read right to left which is a bit unsual . I also learnt that you have to pray when you go to the toilet . Secondly if you drop a Torah you have to fast for 1 WHOLE day. If that happened to me I would faint.

Have a nice day .